Our network of ENT specialists in Quebec

An ear, nose, and throat specialist – often called an ENT – specializes in the evaluation and treatment of disorders of the ears, nose, and throat. Among their prerogatives, these practitioners are authorized to issue prescriptions for hearing aids.

We are in constant contact with ear, nose, and throat specialists who are members of the Fédération des Médecins Professionnels du Québec (ear, nose, and throat professionals), whom you can consult for all your medical or surgical needs. They also issue the necessary prescriptions for the equipment in order to confirm the need for a hearing aid.

ENT's specialist ears doctor consult

The ENT’s specialties

An ear, nose, and throat specialist is an expert in the diseases that affect the head and neck region. In this area, the systems are intimately linked. You know that your nose and your throat are directly connected (these make up your upper respiratory tract). But your ears are also connected to your throat by little bone canals (also called “auditory tubes”) located behind your nose.

Under these conditions, any problem that affects your ears, nose, or throat can have repercussions on the other elements of the area. So remain vigilant and contact a specialist if a problem persists or regularly recurs to prevent it from spreading or becoming chronic.

otolatyngologist diagnosis ears loss hearing

Diagnosis and treatment

A consultation with an ENT begins with an assessment of your case. Considering your symptoms, you take a few tests (audiometry, radiography, fibrescope, ultrasound, etc.) to precisely identify the causes.

Then, once the diagnosis has been made, the ENT will propose an appropriate solution (surgical or not). Depending on your problem, they may perform the treatment themselves or refer you to another specialized health professional (for example, an audioprosthetist or an endocrinologist). In the latter case, the ENT writes a referral for the colleague who will take care of you.

ENT's tests symptoms loss hearing
ENT's consult appointment tinnitus hearing problems

When should you consult an ear, nose, and throat specialist?

It’s best to consult an ENT if:

  • You have hearing problems (hearing loss, tinnitus), ear pain, or any ear condition (otitis, cerumen impaction).
  • You experience frequent dizziness: they will check the condition of your inner ear and your vestibular pathways.
  • You suffer from nose or sinus conditions: sinusitis, snoring, stuffy nose, sleep apnea, etc.
  • You have throat problems (tonsils, thyroid, trachea, larynx, pharynx) that can appear as recurring chest pain, difficulty swallowing or speaking, etc.

If you experience one or more of these problems, make an appointment with an ENT

Contact us