Our network of ENT physicians in Montréal and throughout Québec

An otolaryngologist - more commonly known as an ENT doctor - specializes in the evaluation and treatment of diseases of the ears, nose and throat. Among their prerogatives, these practitioners are notably authorized to issue prescriptions for hearing aids and earplugs.

We are in permanent contact with otolaryngologists who are members of the Association of Otolaryngology and Neck and Facial Surgery of Québec, whom you can consult for all medical or surgical needs.

an ENT physician osculting a patient

The Specialties Of The Orl Physician

The otolaryngologist is an expert in diseases affecting the head and neck region. In this area, the systems are intimately linked. As you know, your nose and throat are directly connected (these are your upper airways). But your ears are also connected to your throat by small bony ducts (called "ear tubes") at the back of your nose.

Thus, under these conditions, the slightest disorder affecting your nose, throat or ears can have repercussions on the other organs in this area. Therefore, remain vigilant and contact a specialist if a problem persists or recurs regularly, to prevent it from spreading or becoming chronic.

an ENT doctor osculting an older woman

Diagnosis and treatment

During the first consultation, the ENT doctor will first evaluate your case. Considering your symptoms, he will have you undergo a few tests (audiometry, radiography, fibroscopy, ultrasound, etc.) to precisely identify the causes.

Then, once the diagnosis has been made, the ENT doctor will propose a suitable solution (surgical or not). Depending on your problem, he or she may implement the hearing treatment himself or entrust it to another specialized healthcare professional (for example, an audioprosthetist or endocrinologist). In the second case, the ENT specialist will write a prescription for the colleague who will take care of you.

an ENT doctor osculting an older woman
ENT appointment in one of the centres Masliah tinnitus hearing problems

When to see an Otolaryngologist?

It is preferable to consult an ENT doctor if:

  • You have hearing problems (hearing loss, tinnitus), ear pain or any ear pathology (otitis, earwax plug).
  • You experience regular dizziness, he will check the condition of your inner ear and vestibular pathways.
  • You suffer from nose or sinus problems (sinusitis, snoring, stuffy nose, sleep apnea, etc.)
  • You have throat problems (tonsils, thyroid, trachea, larynx, pharynx), which can manifest themselves as repeated angina, difficulty swallowing, speaking, etc.

If you observe one or more of these dysfunctions, make an appointment with an ENT doctor independent of the Masliah Centres.

What training does an ENT doctor have?

An ENT physician (ear, nose, and throat) has a specialised bachelor's degree, as well as an undergraduate doctorate in medicine. In order to learn the surgical fundamentals and specialise in otolaryngology and cervicofacial surgery, he or she must also complete a 5-year residency. Before being able to practice, an Otolaryngologist spends approximately 13 years studying science and medicine at college and university.

All ENT physicians must be members of the Collège des médecins du Québec.

The role of the otorhinolaryngologist

In addition to providing a variety of patient care, including the treatment of infections, loss of balance, and dizziness, the ENT doctor is also a cervicofacial surgeon. As such, he can perform various surgeries to improve or restore hearing, whenever possible. He is also in charge of reconstructing the ears, or otoplasty, which aims to correct their protuberance (protruding ears).

Where can I find an otolaryngologist?

In hospitals

Many ENT doctors work in hospitals, where they perform multiple surgeries and provide consultation services.

In hearing health clinics or ENT polyclinics

Another large proportion of ENT doctors tend to practise in hearing or private clinics, such as the independent ENT doctors at the Masliah Centres.

How do I make an appointment with an ENT doctor?

To see an ENT doctor, you will first need to see your family doctor (or general practitioner), who will judge whether your condition requires a consultation with this specialist. If so, he or she will fill out a prescription, which you will be asked to fill in at your first appointment with the ENT doctor, so as to open your file.

If you have already met with your family doctor and your family doctor has first referred you to the audiologist, the audiologist will have the authority to refer you to an ENT doctor if necessary (some more complex cases may require the intervention of both the audiologist and the ENT doctor, in addition to the audioprosthetist).

This is why, in the Masliah Centres, we gather all these hearing professionals under the same roof. They will collaborate in order to diagnose your hearing problems with precision and to offer you the most adequate treatments. Moreover, it will be much easier to coordinate your appointments. You will also enjoy the simplicity of always going to the same address!

Consulting an ENT doctor to the public: longer delays

If you prefer to make an appointment with a hospital-based ENT physician, please be aware that the Service Request Distribution Centre (SRDC) in your area can make the arrangements for you (your family physician will make the request to the SRDC). This option, however, results in much longer waiting periods than going through private hearing health clinics. In fact, you may have to wait up to 12 months before finally seeing an ENT specialist, if your situation is not considered urgent.

Since ENT consultation services are covered by the RAMQ in most private clinics, there is no reason to wait all this time and risk seeing your problems get worse.

Contactez-nous dès maintenant