The Specialties Of The Orl Physician

The otolaryngologist is an expert in diseases affecting the head and neck region. In this area, the systems are intimately linked. As you know, your nose and throat are directly connected (these are your upper airways). But your ears are also connected to your throat by small bony ducts (called "ear tubes") at the back of your nose.

Thus, under these conditions, the slightest disorder affecting your nose, throat or ears can have repercussions on the other organs in this area. Therefore, remain vigilant and contact a specialist if a problem persists or recurs regularly, to prevent it from spreading or becoming chronic.

Diagnosis and treatment

During the first consultation, the ENT doctor will first evaluate your case. Considering your symptoms, he will have you undergo a few tests (audiometry, radiography, fibroscopy, ultrasound, etc.) to precisely identify the causes.


Then, once the diagnosis has been made, the ENT doctor will propose a suitable solution (surgical or not). Depending on your problem, he or she may implement the hearing treatment himself or entrust it to another specialized healthcare professional (for example, an audioprosthetist or endocrinologist). In the second case, the ENT specialist will write a prescription for the colleague who will take care of you.


When to see an Otolaryngologist?

It is preferable to consult an ENT doctor if:

  • You have hearing problems (hearing loss, tinnitus), ear pain or any ear pathology (otitis, earwax plug).

  • You experience regular dizziness, he will check the condition of your inner ear and vestibular pathways.

  • You suffer from nose or sinus problems (sinusitis, snoring, stuffy nose, sleep apnea, etc.).

  • You have throat problems (tonsils, thyroid, trachea, larynx, pharynx), which can manifest themselves as repeated angina, difficulty swallowing, speaking, etc.


If you observe one or more of these dysfunctions, make an appointment with an ENT doctor independent of the Masliah Centres.

Frequently Asked Questions

An ENT specialist (ear, nose, and throat) has a specialised bachelor's degree, as well as an undergraduate doctorate in medicine. In order to learn the surgical fundamentals and specialise in otolaryngology and cervicofacial surgery, he or she must also complete a 5-year residency. Before being able to practice, an Otolaryngologist spends approximately 13 years studying science and medicine at college and university.

All ENT specialists must be members of the Collège des médecins du Québec.