Audiologist in the Greater Montreal | Our Audiology Clinics

Our network of Audiologists in Quebec

The audiologist is a health professional who prevents, evaluates, and treats hearing and balance disorders (tinnitus, hearing loss, dizziness, etc.). He intervenes in adults as well as children and infants.

Experienced audiologists and members of the l’Ordre des audiologistes et orthophonistes du Québec are at your service. They will perform all the tests required to evaluate and diagnose your hearing and, if necessary, will make a fitting recommendation.

Woman doing an hearing test

Diagnosis of the auditory and vestibular system

The audiologist's first mission is to evaluate the hearing and vestibular systems of patients. To do this, he performs audiometric tests with special equipment that simulates different situations to obtain a complete assessment (an audiogram ). The objective is to determine your hearing profile in order to select the treatment best suited to your needs.

Anatomy ear mannequin

Hearing Treatment

Following this evaluation, the audiologist will propose solutions adapted to your situation to improve your quality of life.

A true partner, they assist you in several ways:

  • Recommendation of an appropriate treatment (hearing aid, personalized ear plugs, etc.)
  • Accompaniment following the acquisition of hearing aids (monitoring the evolution of your hearing condition, maintenance of the devices, necessary adjustments, etc.).
  • Redesigning your living environment to promote your autonomy in everyday life (amplified telephone, infrared system, light signals, etc.).
  • Moral support (for a smooth adaptation to your new condition).
  • Communication of the necessary information to yourself and your entourage.
Anatomy ear mannequin
Doctor osculting an ear's patient

When to see an Audiologist?

Hearing is a precious sense that must be taken care of throughout life.

We advise you to see an audiologist if:

  • Your hearing is declining: you regularly ask your friends and family to rehearse, you gradually turn up the volume on the TV or radio, your relatives tell you that you hear badly, etc. These are signs of hearing loss.
  • You are regularly subjected to loud noises, for example at your workplace. Your hearing can then deteriorate more quickly.
  • You have tinnitus: you feel like you hear buzzing, whistling, or clicking.
  • You suffer from vertigo: since the inner ear directly affects balance, hearing problems can cause dizziness.
  • You are experiencing ear pain: an ear infection or trauma can lead to hearing loss.

If you wish to test your hearing, contact us now!

What training does an audiologist have?

Audiology is an exclusive profession. Any audiologist, whether practicing in Montréal, on the North Shore, the South Shore, or elsewhere in the province, must be a member of the Ordre des orthophonistes et des audiologistes du Québec (OOAQ) in order to use this title and practise his or her profession.

In order to join the OOAQ, he must first undertake and complete a specialised bachelor's degree (in biomedical sciences, cognitive neuroscience, or neuroscience), and a master's degree in audiology, where he will have studied, among other things, cellular and molecular biology, general immunology, and the structure and physiology of the nervous system.

The Order has about 450 audiologists in Québec, including about 150 practising in the Montréal area, about 10 in Laval, and about 50 in the Capitale-Nationale region.

Check here to see if your audiologist is a member of the Collège.

What qualities should an audiologist have?

In order to help patients and prescribe appropriate treatment, an audiologist must, among other things:

  • have a healthy hearing;
  • demonstrate empathy and patience (especially with patients with psychological problems related to their hearing loss);
  • be organized (he should provide you with well-defined treatment and rehabilitation plans).

The audiologists who work with the Masliah Centres will take care of you entirely and offer you all the necessary support. Never hesitate to ask them questions or share your concerns with them.

Where can I find an audiologist?

In Quebec, 60% of audiologists practise in the public sector, 25% in the private sector, and 15% in both sectors.

In a hospital

The majority of audiologists work in a hospital setting in an audiology department. To obtain an appointment (which will be covered by the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec - RAMQ), you must first have a prescription from your family doctor (or general practitioner), much like if you wanted to see a specialist such as a dermatologist, allergist, or gastroenterologist.

You may also find an audiologist in a CLSC, in some schools, and in rehabilitation centers.

In a hearing clinic

You can also see an audiologist directly at a private hearing clinic, such as the Masliah Centres (if you are covered by private insurance, you may be reimbursed for these consultations). You will usually get an appointment within a few days, unlike in the public sector, where you may have to wait several months before you can see an audiologist.

In order for your hearing aids to be covered in whole or in part by the RAMQ or private insurance, you must have a prescription filled by an audiologist, a doctor or an ORL physician before making a request to the hearing care professional.

Note: Your audiologist may also refer you to an ENT doctor if he or she suspects a medical condition that only the ENT doctor can effectively diagnose and treat.

Who can be treated by an audiologist?

Since there is no age limit for presenting hearing problems or hearing loss, the audiologist treats children as well as adults and seniors with mild, moderate, or severe problems.

As treatment, he or she may prescribe hearing aids, which your hearing care professional will help you choose. But his involvement doesn't stop there. Your audiologist will probably also make other recommendations to improve your situation. He or she may establish various communication strategies for you to adopt and make suggestions for rearranging your workplace or home.

Contact us now

Contact us